The focus of West Vancouver United Church’s Endowment & Outreach Committee is to provide grants to people in need in the community and the world at large. The funds come from an Endowment Fund consisting of legacies and gifts from members of West Vancouver United Church who wish their money to be used for this purpose. Recipients have included various church and charitable organizations, and also projects in foreign countries.
Funds are generally distributed in the following three categories with approximately one-third of available funds allocated to each area:
- West Vancouver and North Shore;
- Lower Mainland and balance of Province; and
- Canada and elsewhere in the world.
The acute needs, if any, of members or adherents of West Vancouver United Church are given priority. The average grant ranges from $500 to $2,000.
The following guidelines should be considered when applying for a grant:
- Grants which are applied directly to serving people in need will have priority.
- Preference will be given to initiatives involving the personal efforts of members of the congregation or others, as opposed to broadly-based professionally organized groups that already have wide public support.
- Grants are usually made for special equipment or programs and not for operating or administrative expenses.
- Grants are generally reviewed monthly between September and the beginning of June.